World Journal of Biology and Biological Sciences
World Journal of Biology and Biological Sciences Vol. 3 (1), pp. 005-008, December 2015, ISSN 2331-1894 ©2015 World Science Research Journals
Full Length Research
Changes in serum total and lipoprotein cholesterol level induced by cigarette smoking
Okere O. L.* and Orogu J. O.
Department of Science Laboratory Technology, School of Science and Technology, Delta State Polytechnic Ozoro, Delta State, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted October 10 2015
Smoking is associated with high risk of developing various forms of arteriosclerosis. This present study was carried out to investigate the changes in serum total and lipoprotein cholesterol level induced by cigarette smoking. Fifteen smokers and fifteen non-smokers who reside in Abraka town, Delta State, Nigeria were recruited for this research. The subjects’ age bracket lies between 20-30 years and they have been smoking for about 2- 10 years. Fasting venous blood was collected and the serum obtained after centrifugation was used for the biochemical analysis. The results shows that there was a significant difference (P<0.05) in the total cholesterol level of smokers (254.13±9.42 mg/dL) as compared with the smokers (263.13±7.80 mg/dL). High density lipoprotein cholesterol of the non- smokers is significantly (P<0.05) higher (28.18±3.57 mg/dL) as compared with the smokers group (18.24±2.94 mg/dL). The ratio of HDL: LDL (a cardiovascular risk marker) is higher in non-smokers (0.130) compared to smokers (0.08). This shows that smokers may be prone to various form of arteriosclerosis. It was therefore concluded that smokers are at high risk of developing cardiovascular disease and recommended that the habit of smoking should be discouraged.
Key words: Smokers, non smokers, serum, cholesterol level, lipoprotein, arterioscleriosis.
List of Other Journals
- World Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Advance Journal of Chemistry and Material Sciences
- Journal of Agricultural Economics, Rural Development and Extension
- World Journal of Agricultural Sciences
- Advance Journal of Environmental and Earth sciences
- Advance Journal of Mechanical and civil Engineering
- Advance Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Journal of Crop science and Agronomy
- Advance Journal of physics and mathematics
- Advance Journal of Computer and communication Engineering
- See all Journals