World Journal of Engineering and Physical Sciences
World Journal of Engineering and Physical Sciences Vol. 3 (4), pp. 043-050, December 2015, ISSN 2331-1878 ©2015 World Science Research Journals
Full Length Research
Analysis of solvent effects on the reactivity of carboxylic acids with diazodiphenylmethane using Catalan’s and Krygowski-Fawcett’s approaches
Department of Chemistry, Bauchi State University, Gadau, Nigeria. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepted June 20, 2015
Solvent effects on the reactivity of eight carboxylic acids with diazodiphenylmethane in some pure organic solvents were examined in the light of Catalan’s three-parameter and Krygowski-Fawcett’s two-parameter equations using multiple linear regression analysis. Findings reveal that the results from the two different approaches are in good agreement in explaining the specific solute-solvent interaction. It was also shown that the nonspecific dipolarity/polarizability term in the Catalan equation contributes small but significant impact on the observed solvent effects. The fitness of models based on Krygowski-Fawcett’s equation is adjudged to be relatively poor due to the neglect of nonspecific solute-solvent interaction in the models. Better insight into the mechanism of how solvents affect the reactivity of carboxylic acids was provided by Catalan’s approach.
Keywords: Carboxylic acids, Diazodiphenylmethane, Multiple Regression, Reactivity, Solvent Effects.
List of Other Journals
- Advance Journal of Computer and communication Engineering
- Advance Journal of physics and mathematics
- World Journal of Agricultural Sciences
- Advance Journal of Chemistry and Material Sciences
- Journal of Crop science and Agronomy
- Journal of Agricultural Economics, Rural Development and Extension
- Advance Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- World Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Advance Journal of Environmental and Earth sciences
- Advance Journal of Mechanical and civil Engineering
- See all Journals